Sunday, August 29, 2010

Wendell, Pumpkin Orphan

Poor Wendell needs a home. He was born and raised in the pumpkin fields of The Shadow Farm, but now longs for something more. His low set, sad eyes and sickly skin tone tell a tale of loneliness, as all his "normal" brothers and sisters with bright orange colors have already been taken to new homes to celebrate the upcoming Halloween.

Wendell is one of the very few 'intentionally cute' pieces that I have made. It was a fun challenge to apply a sickly, unwholesome skin tone and red swollen eyes while still maintaining a certain quality that begs to be picked up and hugged. Wendell is available for adoption on Etsy with free shipping.

6 comments:

  1. Dave I think this is one of my favorites yet. I don't know how cute it is, it looks more like a mutated pumpkin, definitely some weird stuff going on in the genes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever see the movie "Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone"? If so, do you remember the scene when he's walking at the base of the cliffs, and the mutated children (as a result of experiments) all start walking to the edge high above him, singsonging things like "momma" in that sad longing tone...just before they start lobbing explosives over the edge?

    I mean sure, I feel bad for Wendell. But everytime I look at him, I see firebombs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen that flick, GF.
    I am really confused. I seriously look at Wendell and see sugary cuteness. I have always stood by the mantra that Halloween IS NOT CUTE, so I almost feel like I was betraying myself by producing something like this. I feel much better about myself now that I am reading your comments.It seems my warped mind interprets cute at a different level than the norm, or that I have included just enough strangeness to offset the teddybear pose and adorable outfit.
    Thanks Johnny and GF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhH! He is so frickin cute! Welldone =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous. i wish I could make something like that. I love it!

    ReplyDelete