Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Skeleton Stirring a Cauldron

It is said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Well, Devil's Chariot from Hauntforum must be one of the most flattered propbuilders out there this year. Last year, he took a new angle on the 'witch stirring a cauldron' prop and came up with his excellent "Cauldron Creep"
When asked to make a piece to donate to my son's High School Robotic's team for their silent auction, I struggled with what to make. It had to be ultra cool, animated, but small enough to appeal to the casual haunting enthusiast. I decided to take a shot at making this prop, but in a much smaller scale. My version is powered by the turntable motor from a microwave, and stands 12 inches tall to the top of the natural maple stirring pole.

I have spotted one major design flaw in this piece....I WANT IT FOR MY OWN! Oh well, the kids need the support, so this one goes off to charity. If anyone is interested in placing a bid on this prop, the auction will be held at Southport High School, Indianapolis Indiana on October 17th.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent Dave! Simply excellent. Devil's Chariot did indeed build an amazing prop (the shots in the dark with the undead glow in the eye sockets are my favorites). And I believe you've taken his foundation and run with it.

    The way your minion is so crouched - so intently stirring - is purposeful and eerie. It appears he truly enjoys his task. And that sort of sinister, yet gleeful display combined with the sort of savage brand of costuming you've prepared for it would be perfect for a necromancer's haunt.

    I agree. This would be a hard piece to part with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work with several auctions and we have never hand anything this cool to raise money. Stunning work...I don't think I describe it more eloquently than KingUnicorn did. :)

    Wish I was there to bid on it.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could I possibly dislike something that combines the best imaginative worlds of you and D.C?

    No wonder you want to keep it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave... I think you just opened the door to miniature prop animatronics.

    Absolutely, mind blowingly, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I lived closer to Indiana, 'cause I would totally bid on that.

    By the way, I love the blog and it's totally getting me excited for next month.

    Just found a really funny "What Not to Wear for Halloween 2009" blog post and I thought you might be interested.

    http://www.ecollegefinder.org/blog/post/What-Not-to-Wear-ndash3b-Halloween-2009-Edition.aspx

    Thanks and keep up the good work,

    Randall (adamsonrandall@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete