Saturday, November 7, 2009

I don't want to be a fish


While working on the third version of my "Steampunk Fish Head" sculptures, I met full resistance. This piece simply did not want to be a fish. I worked and worked on the armature, carefully planning the fishy details, but the moment I started sculpting the true character of the piece became evident. Some strange amalgamation of falcon and parrot has emerged, altering the course of this piece entirely. I usually work with a very loose idea of the final outcome, but I find it fascinating when a concept changes so drastically during the course of creation.

4 comments:

  1. i love when art creates itself. cant wait to see how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee. thats kind of how I work. I just have a outline and I let the details fill themselves in. I find I don't get frustrated that way. Now I just sketch ideas as sloppily as I can. then I don't nail myself down to one thing.

    Your work to date is so cool, I say listen it. Listen to the clay Dave, listen to the clay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Diane, I love it when a piece fights to go in the direction it wants to go...frustrating for the creator but good for the outcome....the age old question, "Which came first, the fish or the falcon/parrot?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, Scott...it really isn't frustrating at all. At least not for me. Like Devil's Chariot said, I find that working free-form suits my style very well. I let the details unfold as I work. Every added element becomes a discovery that leads to something else. Blog post to follow explaining this thought....

    ReplyDelete