Monday, February 14, 2011

Shop Rehab



The itch has hit. I have been thinking about re-arranging the shop for quite a while, and with the warm weather yesterday I finally worked up the energy to start. What you see above is actually the "after" picture. I did not have the foresight to take a before shot...it was just too depressing. Keep in mind that what is shown is an in-progress shot and that I am nowhere close to being done. My shop is a one-car attached garage, and I share the space with a bunch of clutter from the house. Re-arranging was alot like those little handheld games where you slide tiles around to form a picture...moving one thing usually means moving three or four things first. I won't bore you with all the details of the move, but it went something like this
Garage shelf to shed> rearrange shed> move freezer> move main storage shelf down 5 feet> move table saw> rearrange all shelves> find old props in need of repair> abandon all hope of completing project> sweep> take a break> regain the resolve to clean> shovel out a ton of trash> re fill shelves> sleep.

So now I am in a holding pattern, awaiting time and $$ to build a new workbench in the space shown in the center where the empty white wall is. Storage will be key to completing the task, getting all unnecessary items off the bench tops and in an easily accessible and organized place. Wish me luck.

In the meantime, I will be cleaning up a pair of old friends, Darwin and Icharus. They are probably the most involved character sculpts I have done, but sadly have been neglected and subjected to the rigors of a cluttered shop. Once complete, I will be offering them up for adoption on Etsy.

2 comments:

  1. You'll hate me for this, but I thought that WAS the before shot. Until I read your post. *chortle*

    Obviously I don't fathom the mysteries of the Male Work Space. Good luck with the continued clean up!

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...I know it is unacceptable. Another big problem is that I share the space with my two sons, and they are as bad as me when it comes to tearing apart a shop when working on a project. I think I raised them right, though....

    ReplyDelete